Congratulations to the participants of the Spring 2013 Program! Information about the Fall 2013 Program, which will train for the StellarOne Drumstick Dash will be released soon!
No Boundaries is a 12-week beginner running and walking program sponsored by New Balance designed to prepare participants for their first ever 5K (3.1 miles) event. The program is a “couch-to-5K” plan allowing participants to run, walk/run or walk. No Boundaries teaches participants about the benefits of living an active and healthy lifestyle. Included with registration into the program, participants can expect:
- 12 weeks of training for runners, walk/runners & walkers
- Three different workout times that fit your schedule: Tuesday/Thursday mornings at 8:30am; Tuesday/Thursday evenings at 6pm; Saturday at 8am
- Experienced coaches and mentors to support you along the way
- Educational clinics on topics such as nutrition, injury prevention and strengthening
- Cool New Balance training shirt & other goodies
- Opportunity to earn a very cool New Balance Jacket
- Weekly Email Newsletter
Our next No Boundaries Program will train for the StellarOne Drumstick Dash 5K on Thanksgiving Day! Details coming soon!
Thank you to City of Roanoke Parks & Recreation, NUUN, Balega, Nathan, GU & Zensah for being official sponsors of our No Boundaries 5K Training Program!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is the cost of registration and how do I register?
A: The cost is $125. Registration for the Spring 2013 Program is closed. Stay tuned for information about the Fall 2013 Program! Please note, registration is available online only. Registration for the race is not included.
Q: What are the requirements for joining?
A: No requirements at all.
Q: Do I have to be running the same goal race as the program is designed for?
A: No, you are more than welcome to run ANY race and still train with us!
Q: I am a very slow runner/walker, is this still the right program for me?
A: Absolutely. We want to inspire and educate all levels, regardless of pace. We will always have Mentors to run and walk alongside you, so you do not need to worry about being alone on the runs.
Q: If I have already run a 5K, but am looking for a group to train with, is this program right for me?
A: You are always welcome to join in on the fun and reap the motivational and educational benefits that the program provides! It is a great way to meet new people who share common goals.
Q: If I have to miss a workout or clinic, can I still do the program?
A: Of course you can still do the program! We would love to have every trainee at every workout and clinic, but understand that life and obligations may get in the way. Just make sure you are completing your training runs and walks independently so you don’t fall behind in your progress. As for clinics, we strongly recommend that you attend as many clinics as you can. The speakers are providing information that will help you reach your goals! If you come to clinics and workouts, you will have the opportunity to earn a New Balance jacket (see question below).
Q: How do I earn a New Balance jacket?
A: All participants will be given a Commitment Pledge at the start of the program. This Pledge states that participants will commit to a certain number of workouts and clinics. If you meet those requirements, you will earn the New Balance Jacket.
Q: What are the training plans/groups and how do I know which one to sign-up for?
A: No Boundaries offers four different training plans based on your skills and what your goals are. We ask that you sign-up for a plan that is achievable. You can switch groups if you find a plan too easy or hard.
- Walk Plan: The Walk Plan is for anyone that has not been active at all and wants to start moving. It is also ideal for someone that wants to be active but cannot or does not want to run. The plan has you walking three days a week, with the long walk on Saturday. Your first long walk is 1 ½ miles and you will work up to walking 3 ½ miles.
- Beginner Walk/Run Plan: The Beginner Walk/Run Plan is for anyone that has been active and wants to introduce running into their workout plan. The plan has you walk/running three days a week, with the long walk/run on Saturday. Your first long walk/run is 1 ½ miles with intervals of 30 seconds of running and two minutes of walking. You will work up to 3 ½ miles with intervals of two minutes of running and one minute of walking.
- Intermediate Walk/Run Plan: The intermediate Walk/Run Plan is for anyone that has been active with cardio, possibly has done some running, and wants to incorporate longer run intervals into their workout. The plan has you walk/running three days a week, with the long walk/run on Saturday. Your first long walk/run is 1 ½ miles with intervals of one minute of running and two minutes of walking. You will work up to 3 ½ miles with intervals of four minutes of running and one minute of walking.
- Run Plan: The Run Plan is for anyone that has currently been running, or has a history of running and is doing a consistent cardio program. The plan has you running three days a week, with the long run on Saturday. Your first long run is 1 ½ miles and you will work up to 3 ½ miles.
Q: Where do we meet and at what time?
A: We meet off of Reserve Avenue at the parking lot with the Reserve Avenue Fields. Participants have the option of doing a Tuesday/Thursday morning (8:30am) or afternoon (6pm) workout. Saturday workouts will start at 8AM. Parking is available in both parking lots and along the road. For Tuesday/Thursday, you cannot attend both the morning and afternoon workouts in the same day. You are allowed to attend Tuesday/Thursday workouts and Saturday. We offer so many options because we want you to succeed.
Q: What can I expect at group workouts?
A: At our No Boundaries group workouts, we start with general announcements and then break into our four main groups: Run, Intermediate Walk/Run, Beginner Walk/Run and Walk. Specific announcements, including route, intervals, introductions and safety will be covered within each individual group, along with dynamic stretching. You will then warm-up and then start your workout! Mentors will be there to help set the pace for workouts. We want everyone to be able to talk! Each group will have multiple mentors going different paces, so you will not be alone! You are required to stay with a group/mentor at all times. We ask you to do this for a couple reasons: 1) safety is our #1 priority and we do not want anyone running by themselves or without a mentor close-by and 2) it's more fun when you have people to talk to!
Participants are required to carry identification on them at all workouts that includes their emergency contact information. If a participant has any allergies or health conditions, we ask that this information also be available. If a participant has asthma, we ask that they carry their rescue inhaler.
Please note that earphones/headphones are NOT allowed at group workouts.
Participants must wear shoes at all workouts.
For Spring 2013 evening workouts- participants are required to have reflective gear on them at workouts until the days start to get longer.
Additionally, please note that participants are responsible for carrying their car keys with them.
Q: Can I bring a stroller?
A: Strollers are only allowed at the Tuesday/Thursday morning workout.
Q: Can I bring a friend to a workout?
A: No Boundaries workouts are for registered participants only.
Q: Can I bring a dog?
A: No pets are allowed.
Q: Is there a weather-policy?
A: We would like to think that we can run in anything, but there are some situations that make running a hazard. Please visit our Weather Policy Page for complete details on when we will cancel workouts. Trainees will be notified of cancelled workouts on the Weather Policy Page, by email and on Facebook.
Please note: all participants of No Boundaries are REQUIRED to carry identification WITH them at all workouts. Earphones are NOT allowed at workouts. At the Tuesday/Thursday evening workouts, participants must wear reflective gear until told otherwise. For additional safety information, please read our SAFETY POLICIES .
Participants are only allowed to do ONE training program a season with Fleet Feet Sports.
Questions? Email Monica (email@example.com)